- news & events
- find & connect
- inspiring women
inspiring women fellowships criteria
Applications closed on Thursday, 6 August 2015 for the inaugural inspiring women fellowships
The selection panel may request to interview shortlisted applicants. Applicants shortlisted for face-to-face interviews are required to be available to attend interviews in the Melbourne CBD on Tuesday, 6 October 2015.
Shortlisted candidates will be advised no later than noon Friday, 2 October 2015.
It is anticipated that all applicants will be notified of the status of their application no later than Friday, 9 October 2015.
In 2015, the inspiring women fellowships are open to female researchers and scientists in the fields of science and innovative technology, primarily in the areas of:
Applications outside of these fields may be considered on a case by case basis.
Recipients of other professional, state, national or international awards are eligible to apply.
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- be planning for, experiencing, or returning from a career break;
- have primary family/carer commitments or other compounding reasons that have prevented or may prevent research outcomes being met, limiting the candidate’s competitiveness in their field;
- if applicable, provide details of the youngest child who must be a maximum of age 12/grade 6 at primary school;
- be a full-time or a part-time employee at a Victorian academic or research institution at the commencement of the fellowship;
- be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia;
- have at least 3 years of full-time professional post-doctoral experience in their field, up to a maximum of 7 years. The 3-7 years of post-doctoral experience may have been worked at less than 1.0 FTE prior to the fellowship application closing date.
Assessment and key criteria
Applications will be screened for eligibility on the basis of status at the time of application. All eligible applications for the inspiring women fellowships will be considered by the selection panel.
The selection panel will be drawn from the veski inspiring women working group which comprises members of government, industry and academia from Victoria’s science, technology and innovation sectors. The selection panel may, from time to time, draw advice and seek assistance from appropriate specialists in the fields of application.
The selection panel will assess applications against the following key criteria:
- demonstrated achievements and impact in the field including outcomes relative to opportunities;
- demonstrated leadership or potential as a future leader for women in STEM, with the ability to enhance cultural change as a promoter, supporter and mentor of scientists across the State of Victoria;
- quality of the research plan & use of funding for time prior to/during/following career break for family/carer responsibilities or other compounding reasons;
- potential impact of award on the candidate’s capacity for long-term research contributions, career development and restoring/enhancing competitiveness in their field;
- capacity as an ambassador to disseminate knowledge across Victoria; the use of the fellowship to foster a culture of innovators and future leaders, enhance Victoria’s knowledge economy and contribute to public benefit;
- strength of the three referee reports; &
- the Victorian academic or research institute’s statement of support.
Obligations of recipients
The recipients of the inspiring women fellowships will be required to attend an Award Ceremony and be available for any associated media and communication activities.