veski fellows in the media
Our veski innovation, inspiring women and sustainable agriculture fellows, veski connection members and veski board members often appear in the media:
- Dr Cara Doherty, CSIRO Senior Scientist has developed a technique to address the challenge of transporting temperature-dependent vaccines. This could increase vaccine access in rural and remote communities in Australia and developing countries.
- Professor Richard Sandberg – has been awarded Supercomputer access for aerodynamic research for the third year
- Professor Natalie Hannan – promoted to full Professor at the University of Melbourne
- Professor Colette McKay – Elected Fellow of the Australia Academy of Health Sciences (AAHMS)
- Associate Professor Natalie Hannan – Recipient of an NHMRC Ideas Grant in November 2021, ‘Improving the pipeline for translation of therapies for serious complications of pregnancy’
- Associate Professor Ross Dickins – published a paper in Nature Communications – Acute myeloid leukemia maturation lineage inﬂuences residual disease and relapse following differentiation therapy
- Professor Roger Pocock – Published a new paper on a worm study that has found a molecule crucial for fertility, ‘Functional recovery of the germ line following splicing collapse’ published in Nature Cell Death & Differentiation
- Associate Professor Seth Masters – Published a new paper on targeting inflammation to treat ALS (MND): ‘TDP-43 Triggers Mitochondrial DNA Release via mPTP to Activate cGAS/STING in ALS’, Cell.
- Associate Professor Tim Scott – receives a Study Melbourne Research Partnerships grant to develop a low-cost, bimanual device for stroke neurorehabilitation in partnership with the University of Da Nang, Vietnam.
- Associate Professor Catherine Satzke – secured a research grant for pneumococcal pneumonia from the MSD Pneumococcus Investigator Studies Program (MISP).
- Professor Cameron Simmons – World Mosquito Program has piloted a drone-based mosquito release mechanism in Fiji.
- Professor Sarah Hosking – announced as new Chief Executive Officer of Cancer Council NSW
- Professor Cameron Simmons – the World Mosquito Program Impact Assessment Team has been selected as a finalist for the 2021 Australian Museum Eureka Prizes in the Infectious Diseases Research category.
- Professor Mark Dawson – receives Pfizer’s Emerging Science Fund to probe fundamental questions in lung cancer using his developed technique known as SPLINTR.
- Professor Emily Nicholson – published her research ‘Scientific foundations for an ecosystem goal, milestones and indicators for the post-2020 global biodiversity framework’ in Nature Ecology & Evolution
- Associate Professor Ethan D. Goddard-Borger – publishes Synthesis of C-Mannosylated Glycopeptides Enabled by Ni-Catalyzed Photoreductive Cross-Coupling Reactions in American Chemical Society
- Professor Colby Zaph – publishes in Mucosal Immunology ‘Aiolos: a molecular guardian of type 2 innate immune cell residency and response‘
- Associate Professor Natalie Hannan – inaugural veski inspiring women fellow & 2018 STEM sidebyside participant, has received an ARC Future Fellowship
- Professor Kenneth Crozier – published his research in Nature – ‘Actively variable-spectrum optoelectronics with black phosphorus’.
- Professor Cameron Simmons – the World Mosquito Program published the results of their Randomised Controlled Trial in Yogyakarta in the New England Journal of Medicine.
- Professor Mark Dawson – elected as an Associate EMBO member in 2021
- Professor Mark Dawson elected as a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science.
- Professor Ben Marsland – published research in NatureComms on A prevalent and culturable microbiota links ecological balance to clinical stability of the human lung after transplantation.
- Associate Professor Maria Liaskos – publishes in Journal of Extracellular vesicles, her research on Staphylococcus aureus membrane vesicles contain immunostimulatory DNA, RNA and peptidoglycan that activate innate immune receptors and induce autophagy
- Professors’ Andrew Holmes AC FRS FAA and Mark Dawson received Australian Academy of Science honorific awards for their outstanding contributions to science.
- Professor Emily Nicholson author of First-ever global catalogue of ecosystems to enable coordinated conservation efforts: Global Ecosystem Typology – Deakin University
- Associate Professor Seth Masters – publishes research in medRxiv on DPP9 deficiency : an Inflammasomopathy which can be rescued by lowering NLRP1/IL-1 signaling
- Associate Professor Ethan Goddard-Borger – publishes research in Nature Chemical Biology ‘Yeast- and antibody-based tools for studying tryptophan C-mannosylation’
- Professor Ben Marsland publishes research in Nature Immunology; Protection against asthma from gut metabolism by-product – Monash University
- Dr Vihandha Wickramasinghe receives two NHMRC Ideas Grants for research into mRNAs and circRNAs– Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Associate Professor Ethan Goddard-Borger receives NHMRC Ideas Grant; Repurposing and re-optimising drugs that disrupt glycoprotein folding to treat COVID-19 – WEHI
- Associate Professor Seth Masters receives NHMRC Ideas Grant – WEHI
- Professor Roger Pocock receives NHMRC Ideas Grant – Monash University
- Professor Ben Marsland receives NHMRC Ideas Grant – Monash University
- Professor Natalie Hannan publishes ‘Nanoparticles in pregnancy: the next frontier in reproductive therapeutics’ in Human Reproduction Update – The University of Melbourne
- Professor Colby Zaph publishes ‘The Methyltransferase DOT1L Controls Activation and Lineage Integrity in CD4+ T Cells during Infection and Inflammation’ in Cell Reports – Monash University
- Professor Emma Sciberras publishes ‘Social and Economic Costs of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Across the Lifespan’ in the Journal of Attention Disorders – Deakin University
- Professor Kenneth Crozier receives ARC Discovery Project funding – The University of Melbourne
- Associate Professor Timothy Scott receives ARC Discovery Project funding – Monash University
- Professor Colette McKay speaks to David Astle on ABC Evenings on The auditory breakthrough that could help newborns hear for the first time – Bionics Institute
- Professor Emily Nicholson publishes a paper in Scientific Reports – Using machine learning to understand the implications of meteorological conditions for fish kills
- Professor Mark Dawson receives a prestigious Prime Minister’s Prize for Science, the 2020 Frank Fenner Prize for Life Scientist of the Year – PeterMacCallum Cancer Centre
- Associate Professor Seth Masters publishes a paper in Cell ‘TDP-43 Triggers Mitochondrial DNA Release via mPTP to Activate cGAS/STING in ALS’ – WEHI
- Dr Vihandha Wickramasinghe publishes ‘RNA in Cancer’ paper in Nature Reviews Cancer – Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Professor Cameron Simmons: The World Mosquito Program announced an extremely promising result from a gold-standard Randomised Controlled Trial conducted over 3 years in Yogyakarta City. The result shows a 77% reduction in dengue incidence in Wolbachia treated communities – Monash University
- Professor Ben Marsland publishes ‘Microbes, metabolites, and the gut–lung axis’, the 5th most read paper in the journal Mucosal Immunology in 2020 – Monash University
- Professor Cameron Simmons: The World Mosquito Program selected as one of 6 finalists in the global competition for the $US100 million 100&Change grant – Monash University
- Professor Mark Dawson – Australian Government injects MRFF funding into STEM cell research – The University of Melbourne
- Associate Professor Seth Masters publishes in Nature Communications – The University of Melbourne
- Professor Mark Dawson, veski innovation fellow and Dr Sarah Jane Dawson, veski connected community member receives NHMRC funding – Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Associate Professor Emma Sciberras receives MRFF Investigator Grant – Deakin University
- Professor Mark Shackleton – Lifesaving trial moves to Tasmania – Alfred Health
- Associate Professor Ethan Goddard-Borger publishes paper ‘Trefoil factors share a lectin activity that defines their role in mucus’ in Nature Communications – WEHI
- Professor Ben Marsland publishes paper ‘Skin emollient and early complementary feeding to prevent infant atopic dermatitis (PreventADALL): a factorial, multicentre, cluster-randomised trial’ in The Lancet – Monash University
- Professor Mark Dawson – Australia-First Winner of Global Haematology Award – Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Professor Ben Marsland – #1 most read paper of 2019 – Nature Mucosal Immunology publication – Nature Mucosal Immunology
- Associate Professor Matthew Call publishes paper ‘Novel drivers and modifiers of MPL-dependent oncogenic transformation identified by deep mutational scanning’ in the journal Blood – WEHI
- Associate Professor Ross Dickins, veski innovation fellow and Associate Professor Catherine Satzke, veski inspiring women fellow receive NHMRC Ideas Grant.
- Associate Professor Roger Pocock, veski innovation fellow receives ARC Discovery Project and NHMRC Ideas Grant.
- Important research understanding why men get more cancer than women – Dr Sue Haupt, Franco Caramia and Dr Ygal Haupt, veski innovation fellow published in Nature Communications – Peter MacCallum.
- Making things with light: Engineer returns home to develop ‘genuine 3D printing’ – Associate Professor Timothy Scott – @AuManufacturing
- veski innovation fellow Richard Sandberg awarded an INCITE project – the University of Melbourne & Oakridge National Laboratory US.
- Professor Kenneth Crozier is Chief Investigator for New ARC Centre of Excellence – University of Melbourne.
- Professor Ben Marlsand publishes a paper in Nature Immunology, ‘The influence of the microbiome on respiratory health’ – Monash University.
- Professor Cameron Simmons receives an NHMRC Investigator Grant.
- Assoc Prof Natalie Hannan announced as Associate Dean, Diversity and Inclusion – The University of Melbourne
- Assoc Prof Ross Dickins publishes a paper in Cell Stem Cell identifying an important new concept relevant to clinicians involved in the diagnosis and treatment of AML patients – Monash University.
- Associate Professor Timothy Scott receives an NHMRC Future Fellowship – Monash University
- Assoc Prof Emma Sciberras develops a new podcast on practical classroom adjustments to ensure inclusion of children with ADHD – Deakin University.
- Assoc Prof Natalie Hannan recognised with two prestigious awards – awarded the 2019 Melbourne Medical School Strategic Grants for Outstanding Women, as well as the International Federation of Placenta Associations, Andrèe Gruslin Award for 2019.
- Protecting the proteins that protect us from cancer – CSIROscope and PeterMacCallum Cancer Centre
- Team led by Professor Christopher McNeill uncover an important breakthrough in fundamental physics that further paves the way for the development of next-generation flexible, wearable devices powered by ‘spintronics’ – Paper published in Nature Physics– Monash University.
- Apoplasmic and simplasmic phloem unloading mechanisms: Do they co-exist in Angeleno plums under demanding environmental conditions? – Journal of Plant Physiology – Professor Luca Corelli Grappadelli
- New weight loss pill launched in Australia, Professor Michael Cowley – 9news – Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2019
- Professor Tiffany Walsh features in Women in biointerface science – Institute for Frontier Materials, Deakin University